Written by Michael Koch
The Marton Playing Fields Association (MPFA) has decided that this year's summer sports and village fete event will be all in spirit of the London Olympics. The committee will therefore boldly go where no one has gone before and hold the Marton Olympics on Saturday, June 30th 2012.
The Marton Games will include a mixture of sports, suitable across all ages. Some of the events conjured up will include table tennis, athletics, basketball, darts, horse riding and boxing (beware, as some of these sports will be delivered with a twist!). Just like the real Olympics, Marton Games will be all about being part of the experience. Teams taking part in the Games will represent a nation and have to work together to become overall winner.
BT will sponsor Marton Olympics and therefore an Infinity Demonstration Bus will be in Marton (near the playing fields) on Saturday 30 June 2012 from 2pm. Do come along to find out more about what Infinity Broadband can offer and of course join in with the village Olympics and fete, too!
Please mark June 30th in your calendar now, start planning your team and have a think which nation you would like to represent. More information will be provided soon on this site or via the newsletter.
For a preview of the official Marton Olympics poster, please click here.
What's there for you to do next?
- Pull together a team of up to ten people (friends, family, neighbours) to represent a country
- Call the Marton Olympics Country Allocation Hotline on 01926 632777 to choose a country – allocated on a first come, first served basis
- Prepare your team in any way you wish for the opening ceremony
- ‘Competitors’ also welcome to join up on the day
- Further information will be made available nearer the date. Also check the newsletter or this site for details.
The MPFA always welcomes people who want to help with the preparations of events such as this. Please contact the committee admin -at- martonvillage.com if you would like to help us running Marton Games.